Monday, December 19, 2016

Monday's Blog; Change to the "Extremus"

re·sist·ance
rəˈzistəns/  noun
  1. The refusal to accept or comply with something; the attempt to prevent something by action or argument.


ex·trem·ism
ikˈstrēˌmizəm/  noun 
  1. the holding of extreme political or religious views; fanaticism.

12/19/2016; The electoral college has acted; 

How adept I have been in my lifetime in facing resistance. I have always believed myself to be easy going, open to new ideas, new thoughts and new tools, ready to accept change that make our lives easier;  Now, I look back and say, I have not been so so easy going after all. 

While I now have less of a problem accepting changes in ideological matters when presented with understanding and plenty of fore thought, it is in the realm of every day stuff that offers me the most difficulty overcoming resistance to change and the least important in the effect on my live. Perhaps it is the frugal nature I was raised with. But I am getting over it.

In explanation, How often I have resisted the acquisition of newly offered pieces of equipment meant to simplify life, such as a food processor, a microwave/convection oven, film cameras, digital cameras, personal computers, lap tops, a kindle, a tablet, cell phones--and on and on. I felt that what I had was doing just fine. Then, I faced the reality of having a washer/dryer on our motor home. Once again, I resisted. How can the rig withstand the electrical and sewer requirements of the washer/ dryer. I can turn that space into storage and continue the trips to the laundromat.

However, through the decades of changes, I have admitted with each new acquisition, that yes, I am happy with the new technology and hopelessly share our addiction to all kinds of the stuff of life and why did I always fight it in the first place.

What brings this sort of confession on today is the recent break down of our on-board washing machine and the days we rationed our clothing until the machine could be replaced. I am now a grateful user of our now working machinery, but aware of my fighting spirit resisting change. Lesson; without change, we would stagnate, fail to evolve, fail to learn, fail to discover. That would be a sad outcome.  Together, we all are facing daunting change. How to deal with acceptance is the question of the moment. 

The rapidly changing state of the current world around us constantly in the news and shared on our social media. We are changing in parallel to global change as well.   The world has entered a new phase, fast and furious. These are turnabout times, 180 degrees around, beyond expectations or anticipation but real and looming large. 

I am not feeling so easy about what is in store for us. Perhaps I can learn from my former propensity to resistance the need to be strong and thoughtful and not over react until each situation becomes clearly defined, if such a thing will happen under the new leadership. It seems we face daunting days ahead of us. Best to go forward with our eyes open and our chins held high. 


No comments: