Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Kindle Spirit

I swore I would never give up paper books. I meant it, I still believe it, but I have cheated on my constant declaration of loyalty to the printed book, I have cheated on the friends and family that have heard me so declare my loyalties, I have cheated on my public library and favorite home grown book stores around the country. 


Yes, I admit that I now own a Kindle Fire. I brought it home and glared at it for a few minutes and then by some miracle of technology, realized that my first copy of the New York Times was awaiting my caress to be brought to life. There it was, articles listed under tabs of Front Page, National, International, Editorial, Arts, Books, Science, Sports, Most emailed stories, the paper clone, a.technological wonder. I read the first article and wasn't struck down as a fraud. I could touch a word or phrase and a blue highlighted link would appear like a genie out of a bottle teaching me more about the subject from someplace on the web. I could link to the web for relevant articles, look up definitions.  I was hooked. 


The first novel I downloaded was THE BIRTH HOUSE by Ami KcKay. After another twinge of guilt, I bookmarked my place electronically so I could return to the page I had left off reading, just like using a favorite specimen from my paper bookmark collection. I could highlight words or phrases, I could annotate notes in the virtual margin, I could instantly look up definitions of words, find the origins, archaic usages and on and on. I took a deep breath, I am now hooked on ereaders and have never turned back, except to force myself to take a breather and read the paper magazines that still come in the mail, or read a paper book so I don't forget how.


How angry I sometimes get at the device--that is the lingo, when I loose the place or it shouts at me that I have 15% battery left and I had better find a plug to give it a re-charge. Resistance to progress has always gotten in my way.  I have lived long enough to have had to learn to adapt to CD's from Vinyl, velcro instead of laces, microwaves, Cuisinarts, LED light bulbs, liquid soap, keyless locks, digital imaging, DVD's, social media and so much more. Move ahead say I. Life is progress and progress is life.


Now, my game is to download and collect many books into my device, to form a virtual bookshelf reiterating the bookshelves in my house. Now, I don't have to worry about the overweight of books on the motor home. I do miss the trading libraries as we travel but I can still share book titles and savor the written word. Searching for a new book is almost as enjoyable as walking into my favorite home grown book store and I do worry about the future of the book store. There has to be a way to transform the bookstore into the modern age, but perhaps not in the way proposed in Amy Stewart's novel, THE LAST BOOKSTORE IN AMERICA.  Read it. By the way, it is only available downloaded on to your device. 


Ann Carol Goldberg



No comments: