Monday, December 7, 2015

Monday's Blog; Big City, Seeking Quiet

Contrast and surprise are a bonus when living our nomad lifestyle on-board the motor home. At present, it is dusk and the sun is about to set. Yes it does so every night but I am sitting at my computer in front of a window facing due west:  Location-perched in a lovely and very quiet campsite in Seminole State Park, Texas. I only have to raise my eyes a bit to follow the setting blaze. Just yesterday, our vista was very different. Our perch was in a San Antonio, TX campground facing at other rigs, a busy road and an elusive sunset from my window on the world and sound buzzing in our ears. Yet, we had a spectacular day highlighted by a return visit to the McNay Art Gallery in downtown San Antonio.

The lure to visit the McNay was to view yet another Miro exhibit, a lifetime favorite artist. The day before we arrived at the McNay not realizing that they would close in an hour and fifteen minutes. Foolish us, we believed that we could view all of the offerings in that time frame. Were we wrong. Most of our time was spent in the Miro exhibit, covering his later work, a brilliantly curated show featuring large oils, watercolor, gauche and pencil or charcoal and several dozen exquisite bronze sculptures. 

Image from the McNay website http://www.mcnayart.org/
If one did not know the medium was bronze you would guess stone or ceramic. They are fetching and fantastical as would be expected by Miro.


The time flew by and at closing time was fast upon us-determined to return the next day with plenty of time before closing. The very friendly and informative docents (and well informed guards as well had greeted us with promises of many more wonders to view and the story of Marion McNay and her amazing life story. And what a return visit it turned out to be. For more info, visit the web site http://www.mcnayart.org/ or better yet, when near San Antonio plan a visit. 

The contrast: after 5 intense and wonderful days visiting San Antonio and friends from the area, we were ready for a quiet, no noise, no traffic, rural setting. Hence our drive to Seminole Texas State Park, another favorite destination with beautiful big sky, desert scenery, lovely sunsets and a road runner or two. There were a total of 4 campers and a tent on the sites. What a relief. The quiet is so intense, you forget there is a world out there.

Web access and phone contact are very limited and the air is fresh and clear. What could be more welcome after traffic jams and constant noise. 

We set up, (water and electric only) and took a long open air walk, spoke to neighbors and felt the joy of freedom and calm.
Big Sky     




December wild flowers

I have written past blogs about night symphony. The night symphony on this campsite was very Steve Reich, minimalist, reductive, with un-orthodox rhythm, musical patterns, hypnotic and often requiring patience and endurance for the listener. On to more adventures and destinations, with calm and peace in our hearts. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Carol and Paul, speaking about "nature's symphony" The only noise I hear in my house ( my usual environment these days,) is the TV, or my computer when I'm working on music, the train from my window which toots and 2 am and 4 am, the rain and thunder at times, and an occasion annoying buzzing stink bug.. I'm still looking for that criiter. However, i recently downloaded an app, an something recommended by my son, Chad, that has to do with brain waves. The one he recommended is by Holosync. There is a sample which I really like, rain falling with music, and I down loaded a free book explaining how the soundwaves change ones brainwaves. I really liked the sample but it is not very long, and I'm a liitle to cautious to spend what it cost regardess of the constant reminders I get from that company even though up to a year it is entirely refundable.
Instead, I found this free app called BW Studio. I went to the app store and typed in "brainwaves" and that is how I found it. I found it amusing and perhaps even helpful (although it is too early to tell,) Anyway I bought the rest of the sounds after awhile and that cost me a whopping $4.99 instead of $49 up to hundreds of dollars for the other ones. So What is in it?
First the entire package comes with a list of about 40 tunes for relaxation, stress and anxiety, sleep, meditation, mind training. Each one comes with an explaination as to what the mega herz amounts are for each topic and how they may change brainwaves, and each goes for 15min for some and up to 45 or more for others. After choosing which one you want to listen, you can add sounds to the basic music..all kinds of sounds, like thunderstormes, rain, river, wind, wind chimes, swamp noises, heartbeats, and a lot more. I feel like I'm in my tent (years ago) in the middle of a forest. Also has busier sounds which I try upon awakening like children in a playground (we do have a school right behind me, but only hear the kids in the spring) and train, and factories, drills, city sounds, highway sounds etc. There is another whole section of music to add to the base and sounds with labels like morning breath, dreaming child, foggy night, etc. I listen on my iphone.

I do find these sounds quite interesting, and maybe even motivating. I fall asleep right away although at 5 Am I should!! LOL. What I worry about is that to get the full effect the music, it needs to be played thru earphones, but that does make the sounds very, and I mean VERY realistic!! I just hope it doesn't impact my hearing! I am listening now without earphones, but it isn't the same thing!

I am sure what you experience on your travels, THE REAL THING" is more invigorating, not to mention the visual experiences that you talk about.

Best wishes for a Happy Chanukah, to you both!!

Ellen