Sunday, December 20, 2015

Monday's Blog; Meet Ruby and Rubyette



The topic this Monday lies in the realm of "Things I never thought I would own." Somehow when new "super hyped, must have" items come on the market, I grow a resistance to running out and acquiring them.  My inclination is to hesitate, hem and haw and rationalize ownership from every excuse or angle. Some cases in point, microwaves, food processors, the incessant upgrading of computers and accessories, digital cameras. Heck, I never thought I'd own a honkin down the road motor home. Now we live in one most of the time. But acquire them I did.  Often they were a gift, for instance, from the art world, a silver necklace with uncut ruby from my loving husband, my first Cuisinart from my beloved mother in law and two additions to the ruby theme. This theme continues. 

Our next few months will be spent in the west, the far west, southwestern California. Gee Whiz, as we fondly call our motor home is set up in a beautiful campground near Temecula, CA and nestled in breathtaking mountain landscapes. Our tow vehicle, lovingly called our Toad in RV lingo, is a Ruby red Jeep Rubicon.  Back to the realm of I never thought I would own; on our second day on this site we purchased a golf cart to maneuver the steep hills, especially when we need to haul some type of cargo or people. I haven't played golf since my college days, and that was before any of us knew about golf carts, if indeed they existed. I enjoyed golf and was always told I was quite good. But it never fit into my scheme of life after that time. 

Yes, you guessed it, our golf cart is Ruby red as well and a close cousin to the Jeep.


Why own a black, brown or otherwise utilitarian looking cart when it can be shiny red and a match to our life style and yes, my recently added touch of hair coloring. My philosophy is as one ages to continue to engage in self discovery and self interpretation, keep up with younger generations as best as possible, think and therefore feel young, allowing wants not just needs when possible and to keep on trekking. So we are the proud owners of Ruby the Jeep and Rubyette, the golf cart our donkey of choice. 


As for our western location, we will view the country from the left coast, time wise behind our east coast "home base" by 3 hours.  We will hear news later rather than sooner, speak California-ease, such as calling the expressways freeways and referring to them as THE-10 or THE 405.  We will navigate the mountainous off-road trails in Ruby and we will navigate the hills of Jojoba hills SKP RV Resort via Rubyette. Watch out all of you critters along the road, here we come.

3 comments:

xctraveler said...

I was never asked nor did I agree to the "naming" of the golf cart "Rubyette" but given the will of the author I guess I will have to acquiesce.

Cathy H said...

Let's hear it for brightening one's hair with color, Carol! I love that you are doing that...and that I am too -) Most folks down here in Florida don't say anything about my gray hairs tinted blue - but a few have said, "how fun!" We keep rockin' <3 <3

Cathy H said...

Hurray for tinted fun hair! Here in Florida most folks don't say boo about my blue/gray hair, but a few have told me, "how fun!" We have to grab the gusto, Carol, and I'm glad you are still brightening up your hair to go with your bright personality. Love you <3 and keep on rockin' -- Cath